Sunday, August 28, 2011

Once My Hero, Always My Hero

 POSTED PREVIOUSLY


Like an unchecked cancer, hate corrodes the personality and eats away its vital unity. Hate destroys a man's sense of values and his objectivity. It causes him to describe the beautiful as ugly and the ugly as beautiful, and to confuse the true with the false and the false with the true.

Martin Luther King, Jr., Strength To Love, 1963.


 I salute Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.  He is my hero today and always.  Today a memorial in his honor was scheduled to be dedicated, but due to the weather conditions it is postponed.  I eagerly await the ceremony with great expectation.  In the meantime, I will reflect on how such a great man's legacy and that of countless others who walked along side him has impacted me, my children and throngs of people around the globe.  I make it a point to tell my children that they are so blessed to be able to attend school where they do and with other children from different ethnic backgrounds, or attend church or live where they live.

  My children ask so many questions about that time in history when so many people of color could not enjoy the simple pleasures and accomplishments in life, i.e., a family dinner out, going to schools of their choice or living where they wanted.  I tell my children because of the tireless sacrifice of great men and women, like Dr. and Mrs. King, they can live, attend school and play with their choice of friends without fear,without humiliation, and without prejudice.

  I imagine that Dr. King's dream was so big at the time for many to grasp.  I believe that it is incumbent upon me and all of us to live the dream and continue to share it with our children and beyond.  The dreamer has passed on, yet his legacy remains here with all of us.

What will we do with it???

No comments:

Post a Comment