Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Makin' Memories

Our kids and sweet cousin Ivy at the Houston Children's Museum

Jaryn turns 11(sniff, sniff)

Me and the MAN on the family property(yes, I look sleepy)

Ivars and Jeremiah on the family property



If you are reading this now it is because it is way OVERDUE!!  We got back a week ago from a family road 
 trip that was in short, FABULOUS!!!  Keep reading to find out why!!  Disclaimer:  Most of the post will consist of my thoughts as we drove from our home in South Carolina to and through Georgia, Alabama, Mississippi, Louisiana and Texas!!!


AS WE APPROACHED TEXAS:

I gaze upon wide open spaces with horses as far as my eyes could see.  I forgot how beautiful the lush, flat, green, endless pastures of my home, sweet Texas could be.  I remember walking around barefoot, fire flies sparkling in the warm summer nights.  I think of family and friends, a safe place to be me, to remember where I came from, where I met my Rescuer, JESUS, home cooked meals of Texas BBQ, potato salad(I got my grandmother's prized recipe), Bluebell Ice Cream(yes, a Texas original), my first job, Cherry Limeades from Sonic after school, summer rain showers, loud family gatherings, the moment I met the Keeper of my heart in college(Prairie View A&M University), authentic hospitality, bigger than life personalities, contagious catch phrases(Don't Mess With Texas, etc.), a cultural melting pot that welcomes all, just to name a few.

I gain fresh perspective every time I come home.  I was just here 8 months ago for Thanksgiving and left with a new appreciation for family and a sense that no matter how long I have been away or how far away I live now, I'll always call this wide open place that is so full of character and spirit, HOME.  As the miles grow behind us and we draw nearer to Houston, I wonder what fresh perspective awaits.

We enjoyed a host of family on this trip and really had a great time.  The children had special time with grandparents and cousins.  It is never long enough, but we are encouraged that the next visit will be even more inspirational.  We left Texas after a week and drove to Louisiana to visit my husband's family.  We had such a wonderful time dining out at wonderful local family owned restaurants, swimming, visiting family and learning so much about my husband's rich family history.  His mother's grandfather was not an educated man, but an astute businessman.  He purchased over 80 acres in the 1800's for his family and the generations that would come after him!!  It blew us away to look out over this property and think of the man who had the vision to secure this for his children and their children after them.

I could go on and on, but I will not leave you with a novel to read, but trust that I did write down all that was shared with us to remind our children that they stand on incredible shoulders and anything is possible for their lives.

Jeremiah 29:11 "For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." New International Version

No comments:

Post a Comment